Thursday, April 22, 2010

Allergy testing!

I finally had my allergy testing done on the 2nd of April, I called yesterday and got the results, not exactly what I expected, but lots of stuff to learn and research on. I even ordered 5 books off amazon.com to help me with this new venture in my life.

So the results are........ my top 5 allergens that I need to stay completely away from for a minimun of 6 months are; rice, barley, sesame, lima beans and string beans!! Seriously, I think I have never reacted to lima beans, cause I stay as far away from those as possible cause they are just nasty!! I was rather shocked about the rice allergy especially since I took wheat out of my diet and replaced it with rice products - rice pasta, rice milk, rice syrup, and brown & white rice. The barley is actually a challenging allergy since it manifests in different ways, like as malt in cereal or as beta fiber, and it is actually in regular white flour. So that one will be my difficult one out of my top 5. So I actually have 10 more food allergies, they are not ones that will produce an immediate reaction, but will still make me sick, bloated and yucky feeling. They are eggs, oysters, SUGAR and 7 dairy foods, casein, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, milk, goat milk, whey and yogurt. Although mozzarella cheese did not come back as an allergy. Since I have taken all dairy and eggs out of my diet since January, they did not appear up with the top ones, so the longer I stay away from these foods, the better the chances of me splurging later on in life and not being so sick with the treats! So my biggest shock of all is the sugar cane allergy!! How can one be allergic to sugar? I have been doing a lot of research on that and have come up with some forms of sugar that I could possibly tolerate; honey, beet sugar, agave, corn syrup, maple syrup and xylitol. So I do have options, it will just continue to be a challenge to see what foods are my enemies!!

So the doctor is still unsure since I did not come back allergic to wheat if I could have Celiacs (gluten intolerance) so I am going to begin to add wheat back to my diet and then see if I still get sick. I am finding so many things with wheat in them have either barley, dairy or sugar in them too, so it could possibly have been the other things I was reacting to not the actual wheat.

So my journey continues!! But what a better way to cut the sugars out of your diet than to find out that you are allergic to them!! Crazy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment